Items you will find useful for your Bernese Mt. Dog puppy or adult dog.
VANGUARD vaccinations, will give the puppies their first shots, you will need to provide the next 3 shots, starting at 11 weeks of age: Please find VANGUARD vaccinations. That is the brand that I wish you to use.
Ideally your puppy should be kept thin until he reaches about 1 year old. You should be able to feel the puppy’s ribs between 4 months to 1 year.
A fat puppy has a higher chance of hip and elbow problems and hod and pano please keep you puppy thin. an adult dog that is fat is not
a healthy dog, please keep your dog an ideal weight.
A 500 size extra large (42 inches long) crate for males or and a 400 size large (36 inches long) crate for females. A wire crate is the best kind, Precision, Midwest are the best brands. If you will be flying your dog with you then you will need a soft sherpa bag type of crate.
The crate should be a safe place; a den for your puppy. Not a place of punishment. You can feed your puppy in his crate and have some chew toys there.
Between the ages of approximately 4 to 10 months you will need to be extra careful with your puppy’s activities. This is a major growth period and his joints and growth plates can be easily injured.
- No running up and down stairs
- No rough play with other dogs
- No jumping in and out of trucks, SUV’s Vans etc.
- No long walks or hiking (short walks are OK, ¼ mile)
- No running and rough housing during this period
- Short walks
- Easy swimming
- Easy play; no running with other dogs or puppies
Be careful of stuffed dog toys, soft beds, and towels, many Berners like to eat them,
If you wild like your dog or puppy to have a bed besides a crate please buy them at Kuranda bed
this is the only bed they will not eat or destroy. www.dogbed.us/18715
- No rawhide
- No tug-of-war games
- No pig ears
- Nyla dino Bones
- Nyla-type chew toys
- Vinyl toys
- Kong toys
- Buster Cubes
- Balls designed or made for big dogs
- Kiddies’ wading pool
- Deer Antlers
- Metal comb
- Soft bristle brush
- Pin brush
- Nail clippers or dremel for grinding
- Doggy toothpaste and toothbrush
- Tooth scaler
- Thinning shears, straight scissors
- Shampoo and conditioner—we use baby shampoo for puppies
- Blow dryer, optional, grooming table
Equipment you will need for your new puppy
- One 2-quart stainless steel feeding bowl
- At least two 5-quart stainless steel water bowls; for inside and outdoors
- Vitamin C and Glucosamine
- Dog food
- Collar and leash
- Nylon bristle brush and pin brush
- We use KURANDA beds, the only dog bed that can not
- be chewed up by a Bernese, to order go to: www.dogbed.us/18715
- if you use this code they will donate 5% of purchase price to warrior canine connection
Dog Supply Catalogs and Websites
UPCO J-B Wholesale Pet Supplies Inc.
Revival Animal Health J and J Pet Supplies
1-712-737-5555 Great leashes- on line
Doctors Foster and smith Pet Edge
RECOMMENDED Vitamins for your puppy
Glucosamine: I recommend the brand k9 level 5000, a liquid glucosamine supplement You can find this online, amazon has it
Vitamin C: Buy buffered C, you can find at most human health food stores.
Buy one of these products as a vitamin enzyme supplement:
Digestive Enzyme called eNZymes Pro+
We get this at www.greatlife4pets.com
or www.NaturesFarmacyWEST.com 1-866-948-3939
Dogzymes newf warrior is also a good product
Nyzmes is also a good product you can find on line
or something like this with a digestive enzyme and a probiotic
We also feed pet kelp- after 3 months www.petkelp.co
Adult Food for your puppy that a good quality foods are:
Nutri Source Lamb meal and rice
Eagle holistic lamb
Wellness Super5 Mix
Simply Natural, chicken or lamb
Natural Balance, duck or chicken
Husse optimal giant – mail delivery www.husse.com
Precise- Lamb, Adult
California Natural, adult
Nutro Ultra, adult
Avoderm, lamb adult
Taste of the wild, Lamb or chicken
Please never feed your pup puppy foods only the foods recommended!